This is a food prep knife designed for users who value excellent sharpness and edge retention but do not want to worry about the rust that non-stainless steel presents.
The best sharpening tools for Japanese knives are leather strops and fine whetstones.
Japanese chef knives are brittle and the blades can chip if not handled carefully. High Carbon steel chef knives can rust and corrode if not dried promptly and kept dry.
From the manufacturer:
- Revolutionary FC61 steel core features fine carbide distribution and is protected by a durable 48 layers of damast steel
- Fine carbide distribution creates a razor-sharp and durable blade with a 61 Rockwell hardness
- Double ice-hardened FRIODUR® blade offers remarkable durability and cutting edge retention
- Blade is hand-honed using the historic Honbazuke method to an exceptionally sharp 9.5 to 12 degrees
- Authentic, thin Japanese blade profile
- Handle made of black pakkawood and stylishly stamped with a mosaic pin. End cap features the Miyabi logo.
- Ergonomic Japanese D-shaped handle design
- Handcrafted in Seki, Japan
- Country of origin: Japan
- Substance: FC61
- Type of handle: concealed tang
- Type of edge: Fine Edge
- Edge finishing: Honbazuke edge
- Manufacturing method: welded
- Number of parts: 1
- Blade hardness (HRC): 60-62 HRC
- Colour handle: black matte
- Substance handle: Pakka Wood
- Net weight: 0.46 lbs
- Length of product: 12.80 in
- Width of product: 0.98 in
- Height of product: 2.05 in
- Blade length: 6.69 in
- Handle length: 6.10 in
- Handle width: 0.98 in
- Blade width: 0.08 in
- Blade thickness: 0.08 in